Curriculum Enhancement Year One
· Charanga music – We’re in the band! Children played percussion instruments and learnt about keeping a beat.
· The Beatles –finding out about famous people from the past. Researching their own family history asking grandparents and other family members about their musical memories.
· Gymnastic routines. Children participated in a Kurling competition at Leigh Sports Village.
· School councillors – whole class voted for their own representatives.
· Observational drawings using natural artefacts.
· Christmas tree decorating – each child brought a bauble in to decorate the school tree.
· Salt dough Christmas decorations for the Christmas Fayre.
· Breakfast with Santa.
· Christmas maths / colouring.
· Class shared The Owl Who Was Afraid Of The Dark, developed comprehension skills, recounts and information texts.
· Wild Wings visit – Owls of different breeds brought into school for the children to observe and learn about and compare.
· Science – exploring light and dark.
· Music – Comparing musical genres, listened and compared Vivaldi, big bands and The Beatles.
· Art –William Morris –made own printing blocks to experiment with printing repeated patterns and Christmas cards.